The Women in Statistics group at Carnegie Mellon University was created in January 2015 by PhD students in the statistics department. Its members are the current PhD students in the department.
Its objectives are the following:
- Provide a supportive group that supports PhD students throughout their graduate school experience.
- Provide opportunities for professors to connect and openly communicate with PhD students outside classes or the academic environment.
- Provide opportunities for female alumni (recent graduates as well as others) to share their experiences after graduation with current PhD students.
- Provide opportunities for senior students to share their experiences, advice, and knowledge with junior students.
- Communicate with masters and undergraduate students about what it is like to join a PhD program in statistics.