Subject: Fwd: PPS Stats Project Follow Up
From: Brian Junker <[email-masked]>
To: Jamie McGovern <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2021 15:31:47 -0500

Here are project descriptors for the two PPS projects.

They will get back to me about signing the EPA but I don't detect any 
roadblocks.

best,

-BJ

ps - these may be fairly straightforward regression problems, and the 
questions are surely related.  This raises the possibility in my mind of 
combining into a single project for one team.

pps - here are a couple paragraphs based on the below:

*Promise Use and post-secondary retention and mobility. *What predicts 
use of Promise scholarships, for eligible students?  What factors affect 
retention at and mobility among post-secondary institutions, for 
students who use Promise scholarships?  Again, the predictor variables 
are all internal PPS data, the outcomes (which might be quite diverse) 
are the NSC. If this project were successful PPS would understand what 
in PPS drives post-secondary enrollment, retention, and mobility for 
students who receive a Promise scholarship.  Input data is PPS student 
academic and demographic data; outcomes are Post-secondary enrollment, 
retention, and completion (from the National Student Clearinghouse).

*College and Trade School Enrollment Indicators.*  Build a good 
prediction model for enrollment in college, trade school, or other 
post-secondary activity.  Predictor variables would come from internal 
PPS data; outcome measures from NSC data. If this project were 
successful PPS would understand what qualities and experiences in high 
school will more likely lead to college and trade school enrollment. 
Input data is PPS student academic and demographic data; outcomes are 
Post-secondary enrollment, retention, and completion (from the National 
Student Clearinghouse).

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	RE: PPS Stats Project Follow Up
Date: 	Tue, 26 Jan 2021 20:16:34 +0000
From: 	Greene, Steven <[email-masked]>
To: 	[email-masked] <[email-masked]>, Friss, Deborah 
<[email-masked]>

Hi Brian,

I have pasted below an updated overview and a list of potential data 
elements that would be involved. It is also attached in Excel. Take a 
look and let me know if you think anything is still missing or needs to 
be edited. One note- I took out Chanelle Labash from the project contact 
for the right side project. For now, you can consider me the main 
contact for both. We can discuss on our end how exactly to handle 
questions, communication, and data deliver as we get closer. Chanelle is 
on our team, so she’ll be in those conversations.

As for the project overview, I am happy to jump on that call and if 
there is a spot on the 1^st or 3^rd anytime in the timeframe given, that 
would work best. If not, let me know and I may need to consult with the 
team. If it is not a problem I may offer one or more of the team members 
to join me as a separate caller, but let me know if not and I can speak 
to them myself.

Deb, can you let us know what the best next steps for the agreements are?

Thanks,

Steven

*Short description*

*Promise Use and post-secondary retention and mobility. *What predicts 
use of Promise scholarships, for eligible students? What factors affect 
retention at and mobility among post-secondary institutions, for 
students who use Promise scholarships?  Again, the predictor variables 
are all internal PPS data, the outcomes (which might be quite diverse) 
are the NSC.

*College and Trade School Enrollment Indicators.*  Build a good 
prediction model for enrollment in college, trade school, or other 
post-secondary activity.  Predictor variables would come from internal 
PPS data; outcome measures from NSC data.

*If this project were successful PPS would…*

understand what in PPS drives post-secondary enrollment, retention, and 
mobility for students who receive a Promise scholarship.

understand what qualities and experiences in high school will more 
likely lead to college and trade school enrollment.

*Input data available*

Pittsburgh Promise scholarhip awarded

Demographic (race, gender, special ed status, English Language Learner 
status)

**

Pittsburgh Promise scholarship used at a post-secondary institution

Enrollment (records of each entrance and exit from a school)

**

Demographic (race, gender, special ed status, English Language Learner 
status)

Course enrollment and completion (including advanced coursework)

**

Enrollment (records of each entrance and exit from a school)

Attendance

**

Course enrollment and completion (including advanced coursework)

GPA

**

Attendance

Magnet school enrollment

**

GPA

Program participation

**

Magnet school enrollment

Promise scholarship awarded

**

Program participation

SAT scores

**

Promise scholarship awarded

AP test scores

**

SAT scores

State accountability test results

**

AP test scores

Career and Tech. Education (CTE) outcomes (industrial-recognized 
certificates)

**

State accountability test results

	

Career and Tech. Education (CTE) outcomes (industrial-recognized 
certificates)

*Outcome data*

Post-secondary enrollment, retention, and completion (National Student 
Clearinghouse)

Post-secondary enrollment (National Student Clearinghouse)

*From:* Brian Junker [mailto:[email-masked]]
*Sent:* Tuesday, January 26, 2021 2:04 PM
*To:* Greene, Steven <[email-masked]>
*Subject:* Re: PPS Stats Project Follow Up

*[External] This email originated from outside of the Pittsburgh Public 
Schools. Even if you are familiar with the sender, do not click links or 
open attachments unless you expected to receive them.*

------------------------------------------------------------------------

ps - project overviews are on the order of 10 min each followed by a 
short Q&A with the class.

best,

-BJ

On 1/26/2021 2:03 PM, Brian Junker wrote:

    Hi Steven,

    Just checking in, to see if there's anything I can do to help.

    Two other small matters:

    (1) I'd like to schedule someone from your group to give a short
    project overview sometime in the next two weeks.  Best slots
    available are 9-1030 MW Feb 1, 3, 8, 10.

    (2) CMU has an "Educational Project Agreement" (EPA) that needs to
    be signed for non-CMU project sponsors for which some of the data
    (or other project information) is confidential.  It's pretty benign,
    basically gives PPS, CMU, and the students on the project, rights to
    use the project outcomes in any reasonable way that doesn't violate
    PPS's confidentiality needs, and obligates the students working on
    the project to the same terms.  If there is data covered by
    confidentiality on your project(s), we'll need to get the EPA taken
    care of relatively soon.  Let me know how you'd like to handle.

    all best,

    -BJ

    On 1/25/2021 4:02 PM, Brian Junker wrote:

        Hi Steven,

        That sounds perfect.

        My cell is 412-606-3632, in case it is useful to call. Otherwise
        I'll be checking email.

        all best,

        -BJ

        On 1/25/2021 3:59 PM, Greene, Steven wrote:

            Hi Brian,

            It really has been eventful- I hope you’re faring well.

            Thanks for reaching out. I am behind on when I’d hoped to
            get back to you.- sorry for the delay. I have blocked off
            time to work on these descriptions tomorrow. I will have
            updated descriptions and/or answers to your questions
            tomorrow afternoon if that works for you. If I come across
            any questions that would be better with a call I will let
            you know and see what your availability is.

            Thanks,
            Steven

            *From:* Brian Junker [mailto:[email-masked]
            <mailto:[email-masked]>]
            *Sent:* Monday, January 25, 2021 3:50 PM
            *To:* Greene, Steven <[email-masked]>
            <mailto:[email-masked]>
            *Subject:* Re: PPS Stats Project Follow Up

            *[External] This email originated from outside of the
            Pittsburgh Public Schools. Even if you are familiar with the
            sender, do not click links or open attachments unless you
            expected to receive them.*

            ------------------------------------------------------------------------

            Hi Steven,

            It's been an exciting couple of weeks, what with
            insurrection, inauguration, and so forth!

            I wanted to get back to you on the projects we discussed for
            the Carnegie Mellon Masters of Statistical Practice program
            this spring.

            I have two questions; if these are easier to address by
            phone or zoom I'd be happy to chat with you anytime tomorrow
            afternoon (or, e.g. Weds, if Tue does not work).

            Here are my brief descriptions from notes from our
            conversation on the 12th:

            ·*College and Trade School Enrollment Indicators.*  Build a
            good prediction model for enrollment in college, trade
            school, or other post-secondary activity.  Predictor
            variables would come from internal PPS data; outcome
            measures from NSC data.  Contact person is Chanelle Labash.

            ·*Promise Use and post-secondary retention and mobility.
            *What predicts use of Promise scholarships, for eligible
            students?  What factors affect retention at and mobility
            among post-secondary institutions, for students who use
            Promise scholarships?  Again, the predictor variables are
            all internal PPS data, the outcomes (which might be quite
            diverse) are the NSC.

            First, I hope that I'm remembering the projects correctly,
            and if not, please correct me!

            Second, adding a little elaboration about motivations and
            hoped-for would be useful; I don't know enough to provide
            that myself.  And if the questions I've posed are off
            target, too narrow, or otherwise inadequate, please fix. 
            Finally a vague description of what variables might be
            useful predictor or outcome variables would be nice, to fix
            ideas in students' minds.

            (If your group has since written better descriptions, I'd be
            happy to use those instead of course!)

            Many thanks,

            -BJ

            On 1/11/2021 1:43 PM, Greene, Steven wrote:

                Hi Brian,

                Could we plan for 2PM tomorrow?

                Steven

                *From:* Brian Junker [mailto:[email-masked]
                <mailto:[email-masked]>]
                *Sent:* Monday, January 11, 2021 1:20 PM
                *To:* Greene, Steven <[email-masked]>
                <mailto:[email-masked]>; [email-masked]
                <mailto:[email-masked]>
                *Subject:* Re: PPS Stats Project Follow Up

                *[External] This email originated from outside of the
                Pittsburgh Public Schools. Even if you are familiar with
                the sender, do not click links or open attachments
                unless you expected to receive them.*

                ------------------------------------------------------------------------

                Steven,

                Sorry for the slow reply.

                At this point Tues (tomorrow) is open for me from noon
                to 5, would it be possible to pick a time in that
                interval that would work for you and your team?

                thanks

                -BJ

                On 1/8/2021 2:46 PM, Greene, Steven wrote:

                    Hi Brian,

                    I wanted to follow up on our call Wednesday
                    afternoon. My team has discussed the project and put
                    together a small list of ideas, the ideas ranging
                    from vague to specifically outlined. Would you be
                    available to get on a call with us to chat about the
                    ideas and shape them up a little, or remove some
                    from the list, before we really submit them as
                    potential ideas?

                    I’m sure you have a lot going on, so if sharing them
                    over e-mail makes more sense, we can try that. But I
                    thought it might be easier to discuss the context
                    around the ideas and where we’re coming from in
                    person if possible. Let me know what you think.

                    Thanks,

                    Steven

                    *Steven Greene*assistant director, data reporting

                    Pittsburgh Public Schools <https://www.pghschools.org/>

                    341 South bellefield ave. Rm. 235 Pittsburgh, pa 15213

                    412-529-5870  | [email-masked]
                    <mailto:[email-masked]>

                -- 

                Brian Junker                    (412) 268 - 2718

                Department of [email-masked]  <mailto:[email-masked]>

                232 Baker Hall                  FAX: (412) CMU-STAT

                Carnegie Mellon University        or (412) 268-7828

                Pittsburgh PA 15213 USA

                WWW:http://www.stat.cmu.edu/~brian/  <https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http:%2F%2Fwww.stat.cmu.edu%2F~brian%2F&data=04%7C01%7Csgreene1%40pghschools.org%7C39f5e587a5b7402abb6308d8c22d2ef0%7C8f711c9aec1c4dbbb790bb0c771b1dcc%7C0%7C0%7C637472846607570966%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&sdata=W0tR1C2KFKx50q5B6PqWQovKa5RShSWSNue721geQLc%3D&reserved=0>

            -- 

            Brian Junker                    (412) 268 - 2718

            Department of [email-masked]  <mailto:[email-masked]>

            232 Baker Hall                  FAX: (412) CMU-STAT

            Carnegie Mellon University        or (412) 268-7828

            Pittsburgh PA 15213 USA

            WWW:http://www.stat.cmu.edu/~brian/  <https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http:%2F%2Fwww.stat.cmu.edu%2F~brian%2F&data=04%7C01%7Csgreene1%40pghschools.org%7C39f5e587a5b7402abb6308d8c22d2ef0%7C8f711c9aec1c4dbbb790bb0c771b1dcc%7C0%7C0%7C637472846607580962%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&sdata=Zg6fs7tBEJ4IbGKI6i5fuZMQB5I0OCJWEgTRp4dp8cs%3D&reserved=0>

        -- 

        Brian Junker                    (412) 268 - 2718

        Department of [email-masked]  <mailto:[email-masked]>

        232 Baker Hall                  FAX: (412) CMU-STAT

        Carnegie Mellon University        or (412) 268-7828

        Pittsburgh PA 15213 USA

        WWW:http://www.stat.cmu.edu/~brian/  <https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http:%2F%2Fwww.stat.cmu.edu%2F~brian%2F&data=04%7C01%7Csgreene1%40pghschools.org%7C39f5e587a5b7402abb6308d8c22d2ef0%7C8f711c9aec1c4dbbb790bb0c771b1dcc%7C0%7C0%7C637472846607580962%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&sdata=Zg6fs7tBEJ4IbGKI6i5fuZMQB5I0OCJWEgTRp4dp8cs%3D&reserved=0>

    -- 

    Brian Junker                    (412) 268 - 2718

    Department of [email-masked]  <mailto:[email-masked]>

    232 Baker Hall                  FAX: (412) CMU-STAT

    Carnegie Mellon University        or (412) 268-7828

    Pittsburgh PA 15213 USA

    WWW:http://www.stat.cmu.edu/~brian/  <https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http:%2F%2Fwww.stat.cmu.edu%2F~brian%2F&data=04%7C01%7Csgreene1%40pghschools.org%7C39f5e587a5b7402abb6308d8c22d2ef0%7C8f711c9aec1c4dbbb790bb0c771b1dcc%7C0%7C0%7C637472846607590965%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&sdata=wzEfOEKHt1GPbsLVvGIv0ud8XW5BXGufWsTr9Vt20hY%3D&reserved=0>

-- 

Brian Junker                    (412) 268 - 2718

Department of [email-masked]  <mailto:[email-masked]>

232 Baker Hall                  FAX: (412) CMU-STAT

Carnegie Mellon University        or (412) 268-7828

Pittsburgh PA 15213 USA

WWW:http://www.stat.cmu.edu/~brian/  <https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http:%2F%2Fwww.stat.cmu.edu%2F~brian%2F&data=04%7C01%7Csgreene1%40pghschools.org%7C39f5e587a5b7402abb6308d8c22d2ef0%7C8f711c9aec1c4dbbb790bb0c771b1dcc%7C0%7C0%7C637472846607590965%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&sdata=wzEfOEKHt1GPbsLVvGIv0ud8XW5BXGufWsTr9Vt20hY%3D&reserved=0>